Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Writing

I have been staying at my friend Bethany's house since Sunday so that I could do an online writers conference with her. The Next Generation Writer's Conference.

How-to-write-a-formal-letter_large

Most of the articles were things that I had already read somewhere else but it's been interesting to read through the comments of all the other people doing it too.

It's also making me a little nervous...  I just have my one novel.  My one several thousand word long novel that is hardly a third of the way done. That I have been working on for ages. Slightly colorless, drab, and I'm pretty sure boring book.

Gah.......

What I really need to do is to stop continuously rewriting the first couple chapters like I have been. I need to go on and continue all the way to the end no matter how sloppy it is. It's just a first draft after all.....

But how? How do you make your writing colorful and interesting? How do you make it so that the people reading it can identify and empathize with your characters? It's so hard... I'm pretty sure right now my main characters are nothing more than puppets moving along mostly obediently from scene to scene. How do I give them a mind of their own?

I feel like Doctor Frankenstein desperately wanting to say "It's aliiive!"

If only I had an old fashioned typewriter! I would turn out 20 brilliant novels a week if I did! :P
Tumblr_lgou7cju5u1qbkugoo1_500_large
Soo... here we go again. Another try at getting a running start. If I hurl myself against the brick blockade of my writers block enough times I know it will crack.

3 comments:

  1. The conference is great, isn't it? I've especially liked the articles about deep POV -- well, I guess that wasn't technically an article -- and getting past writer's block. Good luck getting past your barricade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your first chapter on your other blog. It was quite "colorful" as you'd put it. I think if you were to make all of your chapters in that quality, You'll do fine. You can't expect every sentence you write to be one that will capture you and hook you to the book. Just leave that for the first sentence. The beginning of a book is it's heart and soul, if you fail there, the rest of your book will crumble. But from what I saw, your heart was alive and well. Keep going. Leave the editing for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shayleen,
    Seems like you are an aspiring writer. And guess what? I found your writing style cool!
    And I badly want to share some news with you. It's about my blog for all teen writers around the world. I blog about everything you can do to ease up your writing life as a teen and also greatly on the fun side of writing!

    Please do drop by! And please do drop a comment coz I'm madly in love with feedback!

    Hope to see you soon and don't forget to join in if you are interested!
    Here's the link;
    http://alienwriter-faseeha.blogspot.com/

    Looking forward to meet you soon!

    ReplyDelete